Financial Analysis of Development Projects Online Course
Recorded On: 04/11/2019
- Registration Closed
Thursdays, March 7 - April 25, 2019
Noon - 2:00 p.m. eastern time
Financial Analysis of Development Projects (FADP) provides students with the analytical theory and practical tools needed to appropriately evaluate the financial feasibility of complex value-added and opportunistic real estate investments, including ground-up development projects for all major property types, as well as commercial and residential rehabilitation.
Accounting, risk management, taxation, capital markets, and organizational issues influencing the financial viability of these real estate projects are also considered and discussed.
Among NAIOP finance-oriented courses, Basic Real Estate Finance and Advanced Real Estate Finance are good preparation for Financial Analysis of Development Projects, as is Real Estate Investment and Capital Markets.
Financial Analysis of Development Projects also correlates with the purely development-oriented courses NAIOP offers, including Advanced Development Practices (ADP), Site Feasibility and Market Analysis (SFMA), and Construction Management for Developers and Owners (CMD).
After completing the course, students should be able to do the following:
- Identify the major real estate indexes used to research market conditions
- Describe how real estate developers assess the feasibility of real estate projects, including market, financial, physical, legal, political, and practical factors
- Explain financial analysis that needs to occur during each stage of the real estate development life cycle
- Complete a financial analysis of a value add project
- Create a waterfall distribution
- Explain real estate relevant tax classifications and exemptions
- Describe a process for analyzing risk in real estate projects
Tuition & Register
Payment for a NAIOP online course entitles access for one person only to the course and all materials.
How to Register
- Register online: Click on the green Register button at the top of the page. You will need to log in or create a free account in order to see the Register button.
- Fax: Complete the PDF registration form and fax to 703-904-7003
- Mail: Send check payments to: NAIOP, CL500060, PO Box 5007, Merrifield, VA 22116-5007
- Register over the phone/questions: 800-666-6780
All registrations processed online receive an automatic order confirmation and receipt. If you register via fax, mail, or phone, a receipt must be requested by contacting email@example.com.
Login instructions to access the online course are sent under separate cover. If it is less than one week until the start of the course and you have not received the login instructions, please check your spam folder. If the login email is still not there, please contact the NAIOP Education Department at firstname.lastname@example.org.
All cancellations must be in writing. Cancellations of registrants received after February 12, 2019, will be charged a fee of $100 per attendee. Cancellations received after February 26, 2019 will forfeit the registration fee. No refunds will be made for no-shows. Substitutions are permitted until February 26, 2019. Nonmembers substituting for members will pay the difference in fees. Cancellation/substitution notices should be sent to email@example.com or faxed to 703-674-1471.
- Mr. Clements operated his own brokerage, management and development companies.
- He has been a part owner of a large international brokerage and corporate services provider, he started a Master’s Degree program in real estate at UMKC, served as an Assistant Professor and has two scholarships endowed in his name.
- He has been involved as a Sr. Instructor for the CCIM Institute for over 30 years and has taught and performed real estate consulting services for multi-national corporations in 12 countries.
- He now resides in suburban Chicago as President of Clements Realty Advisors.
- For over 25 years, Allen has been providing business tax and advisory services to corporations and flow-through entities (partnerships, LLCs, S Corps) in all aspects of income taxation. He has significant experience in tax outsourcing and has successfully represented clients in tax controversy and abatement matters. Allen founded AG Tax and Consulting in Golden, Colorado, which merged with TaxOps in 2019.
- Allen is passionate about delivering hands-on, customized tax solutions. This dedication allows him to carefully guide clients through the analysis and planning around critical tax matters. With a background in public accounting and experience running his own firm, Allen understands the pressing issues businesses face along the road to achieving success. He brings this diversified experience, industry-specific knowledge, and transaction sense to each client to help put tax matters right and drive better tax outcomes.
- Allen’s wide range of industry experience includes a special interest in real estate ownership and development. He helps position businesses for success from formation to liquidation, including entity selection and exemption elections; operating agreements (capital allocations, waterfall provisions, and ownership economics); and cost segregation analysis for newly constructed, renovated and acquired real estate. Allen teaches real estate taxation for NAIOP and has spoken for the Colorado Real Estate Journal.
- Previously, Allen was a tax partner at Eide Bailly, where he focused on meeting the tax consulting and compliance needs of middle-market companies.
- In his free time, Allen serves as a three-sport coach for his children, motivating players and making sports fun. He is also an active cyclist and competes in amateur events.
Allison Post Harris
- Transactional attorney at Martensen Wright PC with a background in commercial real estate, energy and corporate transactions.
- Allison advises clients on a broad variety of transactions including general commercial transactions involving the sale of goods and services, commercial real estate acquisitions, dispositions, leasing, financing and development projects, and entity formation-related transactions.
- Clients rely on Allison to review, negotiate and prepare agreements and facilitate communication among project team members and with opposing parties to achieve client objectives.
- NAIOP Board Member and Secretary, NAIOP Sacramento Chapter.
- Hillman Lam is an Adjunct Instructor at both New York University’s (NYU) Schack Institute of Real Estate and Baruch College’s Newman Real Estate Institute. He teaches commercial real estate finance-related courses and Argus Valuation DCF software.
- Hillman has over eight years of commercial real estate experience.
- He’s a Vice President at Lam’s American, an affiliate of the Lam NYC EB-5 Regional Center and the Lam Group. His former roles include acquisitions and development for Time Equities, Inc (TEI), appraiser at Hudson View Appraisals, and retail leasing at Robert K. Futterman & Associates (RKF).
- Professional Profile: www.linkedin.com/in/hillmanlam
Executive Vice President - Real Estate Development
- Jim Neyer leads Al. Neyer's real estate development activities with a balanced focus on market driven investment. He has more than 25 years experience in commercial real estate, development, financing and construction.
- He is a principal and a member of the Al. Neyer Executive Team and has the hands-on expertise and strategic perspective to drive results for Al. Neyer and its investor partners. Neyer serves as a faculty member for NAIOP's Center for Education.
- In addition to his work with NAIOP Corporate and NAIOP Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky, he is involved with Downtown Cincinnati, Inc. and several other professional and community organizations. Neyer received his Bachelor of Science degree in civil engineering from Marquette University.
Sara Shank, CFA
- Sara is a Managing Director at Beacon Capital Partners.
- Based in Boston and oversees portfolio management, including technology initiatives to improve the tenant experience
Evaluates opportunities to invest in and pilot new technology to add value across Beacon’s portfolio.
- Spearheads technology adoption across functionalities.
- Frequent speaker on commercial real estate technology at industry events, and was recognized by Real Estate Forum as one of the 50 under 40 in commercial real estate in 2015.
- Jason is Co-Founder of Ting Financial Group, a niche private equity real estate investment firm, and Principal of Ting Realty, a full service real estate development, management, and brokerage company.
- His direct responsibilities include acquisitions and dispositions, property management and leasing, domestic and foreign client relations, and new business formation.
- Jason blogs about his work and personal life journeys via JasTing.com, and is actively involved in his local community church leading personal finance wokshops.