Opportunity Zones Webinar
Recorded On: 07/16/2019
In this webinar, speakers Allen Gregory, Lead Federal Tax Partner at TaxOps, and founder of AG Tax and Consulting; and Mark Kennedy, CIO, FUEL.LA Innovation Hub and Opportunity Zone Fund; will deliver a comprehensive look at Opportunity Zones and the tax and investment opportunities and implications for the community investment tool. Gregory will discuss Qualified Opportunity Fund overall tax deferral and exclusion basics, recent proposed regulations, creating opportunity funds and compliance, and more. Kennedy will speak to the opportunity/investment side, and the ripple effect of what happens in and around Opportunity Zones, including technology, job growth and much more. A Q&A will follow the speakers’ remarks.
- For over 25 years, Allen has been providing business tax and advisory services to corporations and flow-through entities (partnerships, LLCs, S Corps) in all aspects of income taxation. He has significant experience in tax outsourcing and has successfully represented clients in tax controversy and abatement matters. Allen founded AG Tax and Consulting in Golden, Colorado, which merged with TaxOps in 2019.
- Allen is passionate about delivering hands-on, customized tax solutions. This dedication allows him to carefully guide clients through the analysis and planning around critical tax matters. With a background in public accounting and experience running his own firm, Allen understands the pressing issues businesses face along the road to achieving success. He brings this diversified experience, industry-specific knowledge, and transaction sense to each client to help put tax matters right and drive better tax outcomes.
- Allen’s wide range of industry experience includes a special interest in real estate ownership and development. He helps position businesses for success from formation to liquidation, including entity selection and exemption elections; operating agreements (capital allocations, waterfall provisions, and ownership economics); and cost segregation analysis for newly constructed, renovated and acquired real estate. Allen teaches real estate taxation for NAIOP and has spoken for the Colorado Real Estate Journal.
- Previously, Allen was a tax partner at Eide Bailly, where he focused on meeting the tax consulting and compliance needs of middle-market companies.
- In his free time, Allen serves as a three-sport coach for his children, motivating players and making sports fun. He is also an active cyclist and competes in amateur events.
Chief Investment Manager
- Mark is a unique real estate and venture capitalist who focuses on the beneficial relationship between technology and the built environment. He is an early investor and adviser to some of the leading coworking, AI, and proptech companies in the US. Mark has developed, re-positioned, recapitalized and managed billions of dollars of office, retail, industrial and MF assets for some of the worlds leading CRE firms: CBRE, Winthrop, Apollo, and PMG Asset Management.
- The QOZ-IPO Hybrid Technology Fund - Mark is the for Managing Partner for this ground-breaking Opportunity Zone fund that allows leading tech execs to shelter billions of dollars of IPO gains into the creation of ground-breaking innovation districts in underserved areas. The first investment of the QOZ-IPO will be the creation of The Silicone Promenade, a groundbreaking innovation hub in Downtown LA.
- This new age vertically integrated village will serve as an alternative to the more cost prohibitive innovation hubs of Silicon Valley and Silicon Beach. To foster organic innovation and inclusion, this facility will provide affordable work force and learn and earn housing, next generation Co-Living, Mentor Housing, R&D based Coworking, as well as specialized incubator facilities for PropTech, Smart City, AI, Blockchain and other emerging technologies, in addition to a next gen experiential retail and event center to showcase the latest CPG, DTC, retail, fashion, and culinary products and technologies from local designers, makers, students and startups with the help of corporate and academic partners.
- Founding Companies
In 2016 he founded CoWork in a Box, the first White Label solution for Commercial Property Owners and Occupiers to operate internal coworking and future of work environs.
In 2017 he founded Cowork at the Mall, an Experiential Retail concept for struggling malls that combines coworking, events, DTC launches, and a Retail Fash/Tech incubator.